grey and white crochet...



I learnt to crochet when I was a child and it is a craft that I have very much enjoyed over the years. When I was in teacher training college in the late 60's a friend and I used to make some pocket money by selling crochet vests and little cardies in a local shop - they would probably be quite trendy again now! Granny squares are one of my favourite things to crochet, which is lucky because after I recently made Joy a colourful rug, Clare also requested one. She asked for one created from white wool with various shades of grey (to either go in her grey and white bedroom or with the grey sofa covers she uses in winter) and I decided to use a pattern I had never tried before called African Flower. It is a scrap project in that I didn't work out exactly what colours I would use and how many balls of wool I would need, but I am just buying and using whatever greys I find on my travels. I do most of my crocheting on buses and the metro here in Dubai and also on plane trips and in airports. It makes all that waiting around feel much quicker. The worst bit of crochet is sewing in the ends, so I try to do it as I go along, but am often much too keen to see what the next combinations of colours is going to look like to be bothered!

If you have a sudden desire to pick up a crochet hook again there are lots of places to look for help and inspiration - youtube has lots of good tutorials (both beginner and advanced) and pinterest is chock-a-block full of crochet images. But one of my favourite places to visit is a lovely blog called Attic24 by the talented Lucy, who posts loads of gorgeous crochet projects and inspiring tutorials.