Working on....









Especially in Queensland the formal dining and living room no longer seems desirable and has been replaced with large open living spaces. When we purchased our Queenslander style home, it was the formal area's that I was most drawn too, the intricate plaster ceilings, the timber detail and the gorgeous french doors that opened to the dining room felt almost regal and ever so elegant. I have always had homes with large open spaces but I can say from experience with a large family that to have grown up space is truely very decadent, so I decided I wanted to create a dining space that I could invite friends to formal dinner parties, special occasions like Christmas, Easter and birthdays.

Our floors are getting painted this week a glossy white and to most people's horror I'm painting all the timber detail gloss white too, We had already painted the walls a navy blue only to discover the dark colour showed every single imperfection on the walls and their were plenty, so we then opted to wallpaper the space up to the picture rail. I wanted to select a classic timeless paper that would work back with my blue and white spode dinner set and my collection of ginger jars. For some practicality I opted for chippendale chairs rather than all fabric and they are presently being painted the light blue of the wallpaper, I have a bamboo bench that will be break up the chairs to create interest. I'm using the lily Pultizer stripe fabric for the chairs and the bench will be upholstered in a pattern from the same collection as the wall paper. Whilst its a formal area I'm adding a large sisal rug to keep it looking relaxed and not stuffy so to speak. My antique dining table that I found for a bargain is presently being restored to its former glory, silk curtains in navy blue with light blue trim should finish the room beautifully. Opposite to the dining room is my formal living area decked out in classic navy and white, our goal is to have both these rooms ready my mid November just in time for Christmas.